1. What is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is a government initiative in the UK that provides grants to property owners to install low-carbon heating systems, such as heat pumps and biomass boilers. The scheme aims to encourage the transition from fossil fuel-based heating systems to more sustainable and energy-efficient alternatives.
2. Who is eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
To be eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, you must meet the following criteria:
- Own the property you’re applying for, including residential, second homes, rental properties, or business properties.
- Plan to install your new heating system on or after 1 April 2022.
- Be replacing fossil fuel heating systems, such as oil, gas, or electric.
3. What types of heating systems are covered under the scheme?
The scheme covers low-carbon heating systems, including:
- Air source heat pumps
- Ground source heat pumps (including water source heat pumps and those on shared ground loops)
- Biomass boilers
4. How much grant can I receive under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The grants available under the scheme are as follows:
- £5,000 towards an air source heat pump
- £6,000 towards a ground source heat pump
- £5,000 towards a biomass boiler
5. Can I receive a grant for a hybrid heat pump system?
No, the scheme does not provide grants for hybrid heat pump systems, which combine a gas boiler and an air source heat pump.
6. What are the installation requirements for the heating system?
The system you install must meet specific standards, including minimum efficiency levels. Your installer can guide you on meeting these requirements.
7. What is the maximum capacity allowed for the heating system?
The system’s maximum capacity must be less than 45kWth; anything over this limit is not eligible for the grant.
8. Are there any grants available for properties in Scotland or Northern Ireland?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is open to people in England and Wales. However, residents of Scotland may be eligible for an interest-free loan or a grant to improve home energy efficiency, while those in Northern Ireland may be eligible for a grant to replace their boiler.
9. Can I get a grant for a biomass boiler in a self-build property?
No, grants for biomass boilers are not available for self-build properties.
10. Are there any properties not eligible for the grant?
Yes, certain properties are not eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme grants, including most new build properties, social housing, and properties that have already received government funding or support for a heat pump or biomass boiler.
If you’d like to find out more about how you could be benefitting from the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, then talk to our team today by contacting us here.